St. Nicholas Hall
In 2017, St. James committed to an ambitious $1.5 million expansion and renovation of our parish hall. The goal of the the project was to increase the size and functionality of our parish hall and kitchen to allow us to more easily host parish events and to facilitate greater outreach into our community. We now have appropriate meeting spaces for groups of all sizes and we open our building to use by any non-profit free of charge. Two other benefits of the renovation were consolidation of our office space into the main church building and the installation of an elevator to make all areas of the building, including the 3rd floor choir room and classrooms, handicap accessible.
One of the most striking features of the beautiful St. James sanctuary is the stained glass. St. James is home to twelve stained glass windows that artfully depict the life of Jesus while bringing light and color into the sanctuary. The windows were built by Franz Mayer & Co., Munich Germany, and were ordered through the Russell Church Supply of Winston-Salem, NC. The Rose Window above the altar and the eight windows in the sanctuary depicting the Annunciation through the Ascension were installed in 1954. The towering "Christ the King" window in the narthex and the two windows in the towers were installed a few years later.