St. James has a deep commitment to reaching out to those in need in our local community and globablly. Here is some of our outreach
- Saturday Lunches are provided to the community Saturdays from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm.
- We are most known in the community for hosting sixteen different 12 Step Groups. The following is the schedule of 12 Step meetings at St. James throughout the week.
- We support Episcopal Community Services and Episcopal Relief and Development with Annual Campaigns.
- We are involved in several area ecumenical agencies.
- We hold Spring and Fall Brownbag Concert Series that support the Viola Startzman Free Health Clinic. These concerts raise close to $2,000 a year. There are also many members of the parish who volunteer their time and services at the clinic.
- We have monthly food collections and a 2,000 lb food drive for People to People Ministries in Wooster, which we call a Ton of Love. We also assist in the Back to School Project and the Holiday Toy Project. Our Ton of Love Project has collected over 10,000 lbs of food in the last five years. We have many people who volunteer weekly at People to People ministries.
- We host a community Blessing of the Animals at which we collect donations of food and money for People to People Ministries.
- We participate in ecumenical Habitat For Humanity builds in Wooster and the surrounding areas.
- We collect small bottles of toiletries and cell phones for the battered women’s shelter, Every Woman’s House. We typically donate two large black bags of toiletries a summer.
- We financially support all the above agencies as well as Salvation Army, for which we do bell ringing during the holiday season.
- We have been collecting pennies rather than spending them. We have collected over $2,000.00 to help with our Community Lunch Program.
- We use only Fair Trade Coffee for church gatherings.